Monday, February 28, 2011


I want to learn how to play the djembe, bells, shakers and the drums that are the heart beat of the jams.  So, I grabbed one of the 55 gallon plastic drums from the feed room and had Gary trim off about 6 or 7 inches.
After it was cleaned, decided to fancy it up a bit.  I used whatever I could find.  Wallpaper samples, books of wrapping paper and glue that you would use for papier mache.
Why not!  I spent quite awhile covering the entire barrel.  Not sure if the paper was going to stick.
Made a set of drum sticks (Gary cut and sanded some thick dowels for me).  Then I took scraps of fabric and covered the rounded ends...kept them in place with fat rubber bands, then wound around some thin yarn.
It sounds pretty darn good!  Can't wait to try it out on Sunday.